Web 2.0 based tool #1= Twitterfall
Description: "Twitterfall is a way of viewing the latest 'tweets' of upcoming trends and custom searches on the micro-blogging site Twitter. Updates fall from the top of the page in near-realtime." source: http://www.twitterfall.com/ (click on "What is Twitterfall?) Basically, I think you can create a group on Twitter (ie your class) and give them a topic. As they "twitter" or respond from their computer or phone, their responses show up on the Twitterfall page like a waterfall- flowing down the page as new responses arrive on the top. I learned about this as a result of the reading on this week's module called "25 Interesting Ways of Using Twitter," and I would piggy-back off one of their ideas for a lesson plan by starting a short story as the topic, then having the class submit tweets to add to the story collectively.
Lesson with this Tool: As suggested in the reading/slide show, I would use Twitterfall in a creative writing unit to teach story structure and editing skills by having the class collectively write a short story. After I had taught the characteristics of some genres, I would select a genre and start the class off with one or two sentences. Then, I would let the class Twitterfall after class and overnight. The next day in class, we would take all of the responses, select which ones would go into the story, edit the content where needed, and arrange/structure the responses into a coherent exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution. To ensure participation, there would need to be some grading guidelines/criteria, such as a minimum number of tweets for each student.
Web 2.0 based tool #2= Google Docs
Description:"Google Docs is an easy-to-use online word processor, spreadsheet and presentation editor that enables you and your students to create, store and share instantly and securely, and collaborate online in real time. You can create new documents from scratch or upload existing documents, spreadsheets and presentations. There's no software to download, and all your work is stored safely online and can be accessed from any computer." source: http://www.google.com/educators/p_docs.html
Lesson with this Tool: I would use Google Docs for a peer editing lesson. After students had finished a first draft of an essay, I would have them submit their drafts to Google Docs. Everyone who signs into the same topic (ie Romeo and Juliet Critical Lens Essay #1) can view and edit all of the documents (essays) in that topic. I would provide the students with some background knowledge on editing and a checklist/guideline sheet for this particular peer editing exercise. Then, in pairs, they would use a colored font to make changes, add notes, and edit their partner's paper. If I were to open the editing to the whole class (not just partners), I would have each student use a different color font so that each person's corrections/changes could be easily identified. Again, to ensure participation, there would need to be some grading guidelines/criteria, such as a minimum number of edits for each student. Also, it would be important to emphasize that students are to make notes/suggestions/additions, not to delete any part of others' essays.
Monday, June 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment